Jonathon’s diverse background in federal policy and politics make him a necessary asset on any federal advocacy effort. Jonathon is well-respected on both sides of the aisle, but his deep relationships in the Senate with moderate Democrats and Democratic leadership enables him to operate at the center of decision-making.
POLITICO, “K Street Gets a Hill Democrat With a Business Bent”
The key to Jones’s success on the outside is his close relationships and his knowledge of which Democrats are inclined to support business interests.
At a Glance
- Chief of Staff – Senator Tom Carper (D-DE)
- Federal Policy Advisor – Governor Tom Carper
- Founder – Third Way, 2004
- Founder – Mod Squad, 2007
- Staff to Chairman of the National Governor's Association
- Staff to Amtrak Board Member
- Staff to American Legacy Foundation Founding Board Member
- Named one of Washington Monthly's 21 New Washington Power Players
Areas of Expertise
- Democratic Politics and Strategy - Political Campaigns and Fundraising
- Energy and Environment - Nuclear Energy, Electric Utility Generation, Transmission, Clean Energy, Clean Air, and Climate Policy
- Health Care - Life Sciences (BIO/Pharma) and Health Insurance
- Financial Services - Corporate Governance, Industrial Loan Corporations (ILC), Property Causality Insurance, and Disability Insurance
- International Trade
- Class Action Reform Act
- Postal Accountability and Enhancement Act of 2006
- Medicare Drug Improvement and Modernization Act of 2003
- Amtrak Reauthorization Act of 2003
- Balanced Budget and Welfare Reform Act of 1996
- Transportation Reauthorization Legislation, 1992, 1998, 2004
- Clean Air Act of 1991
- Pool & Spa Safety Act of 2007
- Senate Ratification of Three International Tax Treaties, 2008
- Affordable Care Act of 2010
- Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act of 2010
- Creation of the Therapeutic Tax Credit Program, 2010
- Creation of a Process for FDA Approval of Generic Biologics, 2010
- Enactment of the Colombia Free Trade Agreement of 2011
- Trade Promotion Authority
- RESTORE Act
- Toxic Substances Control Act
Membership & Lectures
- Guest Lecturer, American University
- Steering Committee Member, Mod Squad PAC
- BS Economics, Tulane University
Jonathon Jones joined Peck Madigan Jones in 2007. He works on a wide range of client matters including health care, energy and environment, international trade and financial services, including implementation of the Affordable Care Act (ACA), and the Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act. Jonathon led the effort to enact legislation that would return billions of dollars in federal fines to the Gulf Coast states affected by the BP oil spill. Recently, he worked to secure passage of the Colombia Free Trade agreement in the Senate.
In 2008, Jonathon joined with a small group of former Senate Chiefs of Staff to form the Senate Moderates PAC, known as the “Mod Squad.” During the last four election cycles, the Mod Squad has raised more than $2 million dollars to support the election of moderate Democratic Senate candidates.
Jonathon joined the firm in 2007 after a distinguished career of public service. He has worked closely with Senator Tom Carper (D-DE), serving as his Chief of Staff from 2000 to 2007. Jonathon has extensive experience in political campaigns, serving on the national fundraising staff for Carper’s 2000 Senate campaign and overseeing his re-election campaign in 2006. He has been an influential leader of several major Democratic policy and political organizations. For example, Jonathon helped create, launch and grow Third Way, a new moderate policy think tank for Senate Democrats, whose Senate Co-Chairs include Senators Carper, Joe Manchin (D-WV), Heidi Heitkamp (D-ND), Claire McCaskill (D-MO), Jeane Shaheen (D-NH) and Chris Coons (D-DE).
Between 1993 and 1995, Jonathon was the Deputy Director of then Governor Carper’s Washington, DC office, after which he became Governor Carper’s Federal Policy Advisor. While Tom Carper was Chairman of the National Governors Association (NGA), Jonathon led the staff, directed and shaped policy development and led efforts to implement NGA policy. Indeed, during his tenure, the NGA was named the 12th most-powerful lobbying organization by Fortune magazine, the highest such ranking the NGA has ever received.
Jonathon received his Bachelors of Science in Economics from Tulane University. He is married and has three children.